Can I still drive while my licence renewal is being processed?

I have applied to renew my driving licence online and received an email from the DVLA confirming receipt and promising to reply. I have heard nothing since and my licence expires shortly, can I continue to drive while I await a reply/new licence from the DVLA?

Asked on 17 June 2022 by

Answered by Sarah Tooze
Yes, in theory you can drive under Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act, provided you meet certain conditions - one of which is the DVLA has received your licence (which it has) and that you are medically fit to drive. For a full list of the conditions you need to meet, see this guide: assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upload...f

Bear in mind that you can only drive under Section 88 for 12 months.