Can I check if an electric vehicle charging point is available?

If I owned an electric car, how would I know whether a particular charging point was available before I set off?

This is very important because I would be using up my existing charge on a wild goose chase if the charging point was occupied and I would have to wait possibly a long time in a line.

Asked on 27 January 2022 by D I Kinnear

Answered by Sarah Tooze
You can check the status of an electric vehicle charging point using websites like Zap Map. If you search for your destination it will tell you the charging points in the area and you can click on each one to say whether it is in use and whether the charging point is working or not. Of course, there is no guarantee the charging point will still be available when you arrive.