Dealer sold a car without an MoT - what should I do?

My daughter bought a car and picked it up today and the garage told her to go buy the road tax. She went to the post office and found out the car did not have an MoT. We checked on the DVLA website and yes it doesn’t have an MoT and it also failed its last MoT in August 2021. No indication that the work had been done. What advice can you give me?

Asked on 3 January 2022 by Anne.Fairbrother

Contact the garage that sold you the car and tell them you want a full refund. Make it clear that you expect them to collect the car, otherwise you will report them to Trading Standards for breaking the law and selling a car that is not roadworthy.

For your consumer rights, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/cheap-car-history-checks/