Do I have to use one of the EV home chargers my electricity supplier recommends?

I am purchasing a Kia e-Niro and my current electricity supplier has given me a choice of the three home EV chargers on their approved list, all around the £600 mark after the Government grant. This resembles blackmail as my initial choice wasn’t any of these. Is this legal?

What happens if I wish to change to a different supplier in future, could the new supplier then refuse to take over one of these approved chargers?

Are you aware of electricity suppliers that will allow me to fit a charger of my own choosing?

Asked on 19 November 2021 by planxty04

Answered by Sarah Tooze
My understanding from speaking to an EV charge point provider is that a charge point can work with any energy supplier. However, most electricity companies will have a preferred list of charge point suppliers for number of reasons: pre-approved integration with that specific supplier’s tariffs, discounted offering to give their customers best value or, most importantly, the supplier’s support team has been trained on how to help customers with that specific hardware.

I would suggest asking your electricity supplier directly what happens if you change suppliers.

You can read our full guide to electric vehicles for further charging advice here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/is-an-electric-car-right-for-.../