Why is the fuel economy in my Ford Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost so much worse than official figures?

I've just bought a 2013 Ford Focus Estate 1.0-litre EcoBoost Titanium. It is giving me about 33mpg, when the advert for urban driving says it should be giving over 47mpg. On the motorway at 70mph it also gave me 44mpg when its advertised at 67mpg.

This is a huge difference. Can you advise me on this please.

Asked on 11 November 2021 by Ahmet

Your experience is typical of many Ford Focus owners. The old EcoBoost engine never had a particularly good reputation for real world fuel economy. The problems were compounded by the fact this version of the Focus - sold from 2011 - 2014 - was assessed using the old and outdated NEDC fuel and emissions test. Few NEDC tested cars will meet their advertised fuel figures.

According to Real MPG submissions, an average of 40-42mpg is the best you can expect: www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/focus-2011