Replacement car ideas for my 21-year-old Corolla?

I have had my car, a Toyota Corolla, for 21 years. And much as I would like to keep it, it is coming to the end of its life. To this end, I was hoping that you could advise me as to what replacement would be suitable.

I now live in a fairly rural area that is subject to large puddles in heavy rain and would like something that is a bit higher off the ground to cope with these - not in the Land Rover class though.

My current car is a manual drive, an aspect which I would like to keep. I now drive a lot less than I used to, approx 2000 miles a year, but would like to keep to a petrol model and not higher than 1.3cc. Something that could take all-weather tyres would be good as well.

I don't think I would be able to afford a new car, but do have a budget of up to £8500. What do you recommend I buy?

If I haven't complicated any suggestions you would make by my list above, I look forward to hearing from you.

Andrea

Asked on 27 September 2021 by Andrea Coleman

We'd recommend a Dacia Sandero Stepway. It's a hatchback with a raised ride height and punchy 0.9-litre petrol engine. It represents excellent value for money, with your budget stretching to a 2017 or 2018 model. Also take a look at the Suzuki Ignis – it's smaller than the Sandero, but a quirky little car with a relatively high seating position.