Are winter tyres mandatory in France?

I understand a new French Law requires Winter Tyres after 1 November 2021. Does this requirement include all-season tyres?

Asked on 27 September 2021 by Norman Lane

Answered by David Ross
For the 48 areas where you will require winter tyres, anything that is identified by a “M+S”, “M.S” or “M&S” marking on the sidewall is acceptable as a winter tyre. The 3PMSF (Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake) sign is also an industry standard. If you cannot see either of these symbols, the tyres are not suitable for winter use and if stopped, you face a 135 euro fine and will not be able to continue your journey.