What are self-sealing tyres?

I recently purchased an Audi Q4 e-tron. When I viewed the car it was advertised with a tyre repair kit. However, when I took delivery I couldn't find the kit anywhere. I spoke with the salesman at the garage from whom I got the car and was informed by him that the tyre repair kit referred to an interior sealant coating on the 20-inch wheels that were on the vehicle when I bought it.

I thought the car would have an actual repair kit that you could re-inflate the tyre that was punctured by inserting a sealant through the valve cap. Have you heard of self-sealing tyres before?

Asked on 16 September 2021 by Phil Bass

Answered by Russell Campbell
Self-sealing tyres are becoming increasingly common. The tyre treat contains an internal sealant that will automatically seal a puncture. Audi Q4 e-trons with 20-inch wheels or above do not come with a tyre repair kit as the tyres come with self-sealing technology. Only Sport vehicles will come with the tyre repair kit (as they have 19-inch wheels).