If an electric car runs out of power in a traffic jam, how can it be moved?

I have a couple of questions about electric vehicles. There are known issues associated with Sub Stations and strong EMF from devices. How safe is it to sit just a few inches above a huge slab of batteries daily and often for hours at a time? I understand that when an electric car loses power, it cannot move or be pushed. Exactly how will a car without power be able to be moved, i.e. in a 6-hour traffic jam? Apart from where we will charge 36 million cars, I just wonder if governments and manufacturers are ignoring practical problems like these in the belief that they will not happen in the new super-duper electric world. Regards.

Asked on 25 June 2021 by William

A number of studies have been carried out into electromagnetic radiation from electric vehicles and have found that passengers aren't exposed to dangerous levels of radiation. One study, carried out by SINTEF (an independent research organisation headquartered in Trondheim, Norway) found that exposure was less than 20 percent of the limit recommended by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP).

In terms of electric cars in traffic jams – if anything, they're better than petrol or diesel models. If you're stuck for six hours on the motorway with the engine running, what's stopping you from running out of fuel? An electric vehicle uses very little power when it's stopped. It also has lots of warnings when you're close to running out of electricity – and will usually have a 'tortoise' mode letting you limp to the hard shoulder. You'd have to be quite committed (or daft...) to run out of power on the motorway.