Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

When does a timing belt need replaced?

I have a 2016 Skoda Rapid Spaceback. It's now 5 years old with 50,000 miles on the clock. When does it need a replacement timing belt? I've had wildly different advice from different dealers.

Asked on 22 June 2021 by Jonathan Brown

Over time the belt will become worn and stretched. The belt plays a vital part in the operation of the engine, controlling the opening and closing of the engine’s valves by turning the camshaft and crankshaft. If it fails, it'll cause catastrophic damage to the engine. Therefore, as a general rule, we recommend changing the belt, pulley and water pump every 50,000 - 60,000 miles or five years (whichever comes first). Most complaints we hear occur after this mileage/timeframe. No dealer that tells you otherwise will be willing to contribute towards a damaged engine if something does go wrong based on their advice.
Tags: timing belt