My brake discs and pads only lasted 24,000 miles. Is this acceptable wear and tear on a brand new car?

My 2019 Skoda Kodiaq is at 24,000 miles and I've had to replace both the front brake discs and pads, which I consider unacceptable wear. Before the Kodiaq, I owned (from new) an Octavia VRS estate for 4 years and 45,000 miles — during which time I didn't replace any pad pads or brake discs. My driving style and patterns have not changed and I would state, with more commuter traffic, average commuting speeds have reduced. Over the entire period, I have had the same job, the same commute and if anything I would have driven the VRS harder than the Kodiaq. I appreciate the Kodiaq is a bigger, heavier car — however, it's only 152PS.

OEM parts are required for the warranty. The cost of new OEM front discs and pads fitted was just under £500 and if this is considered fair wear and tear after two years, I'm seriously going to have to change cars. I can't afford £500 every two years. Is this acceptable wear and tear on a brand new car or are the OEM parts not at the required quality to provide a reasonable amount of life?

Asked on 17 June 2021 by Mad

It's very difficult to say how long your brakes should last without knowing exactly how your car is driven. If you push your Kodiaq hard I'd argue that 30k would be about right, given the size and weight of the car (and the fact the front brakes do most of the hard work when it comes to stopping).

It might be an idea to get a second opinion from another Skoda garage, however, or use an independent garage that will use OEM parts (that will keep your warranty intact) but charge you much less for the work.