Our car needs an £800+ repair just 5 days out of warranty. Any advice on what to do?

The throttle valve has failed on our 3-year-old, low mileage Volkswagen UP. It’s 5 days out of warranty. The garage wants £880 to fix and will offer a 10% goodwill discount, bringing the cost down to £800. They say they’ve contacted VW UK, who are not prepared to offer any goodwill reduction. Any advice on what to do?

Asked on 15 April 2021 by Julian Walters

It's out of warranty so there's not much you can do. Volkswagen isn't obliged to contribute anything. Try getting a second opinion from an independent garage – they might be able to fix it for less: good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/
Tags: