Steer crazy

If I buy a new Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 pick-up, do I have to pay £3,000 road tax per year? I'm self-employed/VAT registered.

Asked on 26 September 2009 by

Answered by Honest John
No. If you were a limited company and the company bought the truck, then gave it to you as a company car, you would have to pay tax on the basis of £3,000 BIK, so 25% or 40% of £3,000. If you legitimately use the pick-up for business and keep it at your business premises (not your home) with no private use you pay no BIK tax and can reclaim the input VAT.
Dear Honest John,

Please help me choose my next car. I would like it to have:
    Select a few terms below
Similar questions
My daughter-in-law will very shortly be choosing another company car. Her current car is a Ford Focus 1.8 diesel (I think). However, she is now considering a hybrid because of VED band A zero tax. Her...
I am considering an eco and tax friendly company car for a budget of £20k and an annual mileage of 12k. I have seen the SEAT Leon Ecomotive. Do you have alternatives you can recommend in that class?
I am looking to change my Land Rover Freelander diesel company car for a more tax-friendly 4x4. Budget around £12,000, with a requirement for a generous boot size to carry medical supplies. Suggestions...

Ask Honest John

Value my car