How much can I reasonably negotiate off forecourt prices?

There appears to be larger differences between forecourt prices and part-exchange values than ever before. Volvos differ between £5k and £10k. How much of this is realistically negotiable, accepting that they need to make a profit? Is it a lottery depending on whether dealer targets need to be met? An offer of 10% less than the forecourt price was once very impolitely scoffed at and rejected. How can I approach a dealer without huge cynicism to negotiate a fair deal?

Asked on 12 January 2021 by Colin Hird

Haggling is trickier than ever at the moment. Demand is exceeding supply – cars auctions (and even factories) have been closed, while lots of people are sitting at home wanting to cheer themselves up by buying a new car. Bear in mind that the margin between a trade value of a car and its retail price isn't entirely profit – dealers also have to pay for their premises, the staff, any preparation work on the car (which can often be quite considerable) and a warranty. If you're not in a hurry, we'd recommend waiting until things calm down a bit. Then, do your research, and shop around for the right deal. I don't think you'll ever get 10 per cent off a car's forecourt price at a dealer.