How is water getting into my car under the spare wheel?

The back seat in my 2015 Volkswagen Golf is wet and there's water in the boot under the spare wheel. The first time I thought I must have left a window open, but now it's happened again. Puzzled as to where it's getting in. Is this a known problem?

Asked on 9 November 2020 by Paul Linaker

This is usually caused by a crack or hole in the rear light cluster. A faulty door seal will also cause water ingress. The best way to find the culprit is to dry the interior, shut the boot and then pour water over the car. When you open the boot again you should be able to see which route the water is taking to enter the interior.
Tags: water leaks