How is water getting into my Mercedes-Benz SLK?

I have a 2010 Mercedes-Benz SLK 200, which I bought last year for some much-needed fun after the first pandemic lockdown. Recently, I have noticed a large amount of water in the boot (spare wheel well) with the carpets soaking wet. After some head-scratching, I could only put it down to the high-pressure hose used by a car wash attendant in a supermarket car park a few days before.

However, for some weeks now it has been in the garage and not been out in bad weather or been washed. On checking the boot prior to releasing it from the garage for the warm weather I found the spare wheel covered in droplets of water. My only explanation could be severe condensation. Is this likely or a known issue?

Asked on 23 July 2021 by Muttley04

Unlikely to be condensation, most likely a leak somewhere. The easiest way to find the source is to dry the boot out and then use a watering can or hose to pour water over the rear of the car (when the boot is shut) to find the ingress point. Check the two drains that lead from the lower edge of the rear windscreen to drains inside the boot (one on each side). If the rubber has perished or developed a hole then this may be the cause.