How do I tell if an email is a scam?

I’ve just received an email about renewing my driving licence, which I am sure is a phishing attempt.

Asked on 20 October 2020 by Maureen Taylor

There are traditionally a few ways to check if an email is a scam. The DVLA doesn’t typically send emails with links, firstly. Secondly will be the email address. If you click it, it'll reveal the entire email address, which will often be obviously not from the DVLA. Common scams include tax renewal emails and payment failure emails - both of which will ask you to login in and probably hand over bank details. On another note, the DVLA has extended licences by 11 months so you won't need to renew a licence anyway.

If you think it is a phishing scam, report it to the NCSC here: www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/report-suspicious-emai...s

Or report it to Action Fraud here: www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-phishing
Tags: dvla scams