Do I have to have a CCTV sign on my car if I use a dashcam?

Do I have to display a CCTV warning notice on my car if I use a dash camera?

Asked on 20 October 2020 by Simon Radonicich

Not unless you work as a taxi driver or fleet vehicle operator. Nextbase, the dash camera manufacturer, told us: “When a dash cam is being used by a private individual, the footage is classed as personal (much like your mobile phone videos) and is not covered by GDPR legislation – you are free to record in any public place for your own personal use to provide evidence in case of an incident. If a dash cam is being used for business purposes (such as in a taxi or fleet) then this does require the business owner to follow GDPR regulations."