What should I ask the dealer when buying a used car?

I'm looking to buy a Golf GTI 2017-2018 at a Volkswagen dealer soon. I know about the DSG servicing at 40,000 miles, but what other problems do I need to be wary of? What is regarded at being high mileage for the years I'm looking at? Many thanks.

Asked on 15 September 2020 by Ian

The Golf GTI of this generation has the DQ250 DSG gearbox which, provided you maintain it, ought to be pretty reliable. Otherwise, there aren't many issues to be aware of. This should give you an idea of what to look out for: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/golf-vii-...d

Generally, more than 12k miles a year is seen as high mileage. That said, provided it's been serviced regularly, we wouldn't be too concerned about the mileage of a two- or three-year-old car.