Do you have a minute to answer an electric vehicle survey? Start the survey | No thanks

Should I buy a 15-year-old Audi A4 Avant?

I've seen a tidy 2006 Audi A4 Avant 2.0TFSi quattro for sale with about 110,000 miles and only two owners. I've seen various conflicting expert reviews, many detailing a catalogue of known failures and many saying it is untrue. What is your view on this car?

Asked on 31 August 2020 by grahaa01

At 15-years-old, the car will have a catalogue of potential wear and tear issues. It's important to also note that both the servicing and repair costs will relate to the car's price as new (£25-£35k) and not one that's now worth £2-£3k.

As long as you are aware of the potential costs, it may be a rewarding car to buy. But I can't overstate the fact that some old premium cars have a reputation for being money-pits. The gearbox and quattro system alone can cost thousands to put right, if either go wrong.

All reported problems with the Audi A4 are listed here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/audi/a4-b7-2005/