The turbo on my diesel car needed replaced after just five years. Should the manufacturer contribute?

My five year old Mercedes-Benz A-Class diesel has done 36,000 miles. The turbo failed, resulting in a garage bill of £1700. It was repaired by a local Mercedes specialist as the dealer couldn't deal with the car for a month. Mercedes-Benz refuses to contribute. What's the general lifespan for a turbo on this model? Should Mercedes contribute in your opinion? Thanks.

Asked on 5 August 2020 by John N

The turbo is designed to last the life of the car. But problems in diesels usually develop when the vehicle is used for short journeys. Those 36,000 miles suggest that this car covers 7200 miles a year. This isn't enough for modern diesel engine. It has probably resulted in oil starvation to the turbo and/or oil contamination caused by the diesel particulate filter (DPF) failing to complete its regeneration cycle. Unless you plan to increase your mileage, my advice would be to sell the car and replace it with a petrol. Otherwise, further mechanical problems will be inevitable.