Do you have any advice on storing or selling a car I can't currently drive?

I've been advised not to drive anymore, but I have an immaculate, low mileage V6 Rover 75. My plan is to back it out of the garage, perhaps every couple of weeks and let the engine run for 10-15 minutes. Ideally, I hope to hear it is safe for me to drive again, but understand that may never happen. Do you have any advice regarding... well just about anything to do with it really. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Asked on 27 July 2020 by Cliff Allen

I'm very sorry to read that you are currently unable to drive. Your choices are simple - sell it or store it. If you keep the car (and the MoT expires) you may end up in a situation where you can't get a new MoT because you are unable to legally drive the car. The value right now is between £1500 - £2000 with a 6+ month MoT. But if you allow the MoT to expire, that value will fall to around £500.

If you do plan to keep the car, I would recommend putting it on SORN, getting a refund on the road tax VED and maintaining the insurance. I would also inflate the tyres to 40PSI to prevent flatspotting and connecting battery to a trickle charger which monitors the car battery and keeps it to a constant 13.5 volts without damaging the electronics. If storing in a garage, leave one window open slightly to keep the interior ventilated, but not open enough to allow mice to get in, and cover with a cotton sheet. If the car has an automatic transmission, make sure you can get access to the battery because if it's flat when you return you may be unable to access the engine bay if you have parked next to a wall or object.