Can I drive if the DVLA has my licence?

I applied to the DVLA for my first full driving licence - which must be done within two years of passing your test. My two year expiry date is 17 July 2020. The Post Office Track and Trace shows the DVLA receiving the documents on 4 June 2020. The DVLA is not able to advise when the application will be processed. Some DVLA call handlers say continue driving, others you should not drive. Please can you advise?

Asked on 10 July 2020 by M Arshad

You're not the first person to have these kind of issues, the DVLA are experiencing severe delays due to the coronavirus lockdown over the last few months. We can't say accurately whether or not you can drive legally if the DVLA itself can't give you a straight answer, but I'd look at Section 88. That would potentially allow you to keep driving even when the DVLA is processing your application, but I believe it applies to people who've sent in an expiring licence to be processed and they haven't yet got a physical copy of the renewed licence: assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/upload...f