Life sentences

I'm a pensioner considering buying what will probably be my last car. I'm looking at Picanto, Jazz, i10, Aygo etc., either new or no more than one year old; small and cheap to run, and I'm wondering if the life expectancy of a car is related to the price. Is an expensive car a better deal over time than a cheapie? Could I expect any of these cars to still be functional in, say, 10 years time?

Asked on 31 January 2009 by

I'd go for an i10 1.2 Comfort or Style. Great little car. Good to drive. Practical. Well equipped. And very economical. As for long life, I can't say. Best we've ever done long-term was a 1998 Mondeo 2.0LX, bought at auction, ex-rental, for £8,000, did about 90k miles in 9 years, no major components replaced, not even the exhaust. Sold a few months ago for £600. £800 a year for 9 years with no trouble is very good. Obviously cars bought to sell are a bit different. One of my best smokers was a FIAT Tipo 1.4S, run for 6 months then sold for £600 more than I paid for it.