Do older diesels do better with low mileage use?

I know that modern diesels don't take kindly to low mileage usage but wondered whether earlier diesels weren't so intolerant (pre-Euro4). Most of the cars in my price range are diesels due to the Government's previous promotion of diesels. This would open up the number of cars available to me. Thanks.

Asked on 4 July 2020 by Stuart

All diesels built over the past 10 years are susceptible to these type of problems. This is because most of them are fitted with a DPF, which clogs up when used for short runs from cold. You could buy a pre-DPF diesel, but it'll be worn out and expensive to run. You'll be better off with a petrol.