I want a 4WD SUV but they're all diesels and I do less than 10,000 miles per year. What should I do?

I was thinking of buying the Skoda Kodiaq 4 wheel drive, but it is only available as a diesel. I was trying to get away from diesel, especially as my annual mileage is under 10,000. Any thoughts?

Asked on 10 June 2020 by MjR

Large petrol 4x4 SUVs are very thirsty and most carmakers do not offer them because the fuel costs are simply too high. It may be better to buy a petrol front-wheel drive SUV and fit a good quality set of all-season tyres. This will give you the extra grip needed to cope with rural roads in the winter months, while avoiding all of the common DPF and EGR problems that are associated with a low-mileage diesel.