Can I tax a car without a V5?

I just bought a car without a V5C (it's in the post to former owner). Is there any way I can tax it? I do have the old V11 with various codes on it.

Asked on 21 May 2020 by Jeffery John B

Answered by Dan Powell
In short, no. You cannot tax your vehicle without the new keeper slip. The V11 relates to the previous owner and you cannot use it to tax the car in your name. You’ll need to wait for the new V5C, which could take over six weeks due to the disruption caused by the coronavirus.
Similar questions
I bought a used car on 8 June. As required, the selling dealer sent off the old V5C to the DVLA (I've double-checked with him and he assures me this was done) and he gave me the new keeper slip. Two months...
I'm in the process of buying a Japanese import car. The seller has applied to the DVLA to obtain the V5 logbook but after weeks of waiting and weekly calls requesting an update: nothing! When the seller...
It is now 10 weeks since I bought my new car. It was taxed online at the dealers. The form for the V5C was sent off, I have the green part. I had brief contact with the DVLA over the phone as I want to...


Value my car