Can cars legally block cycle lanes by parking over them?

What is the law around cars blocking the cycle lane on roads by parking on them, often for extended periods?

Asked on 16 April 2020 by Peter Burrill

According to the Highway Code, you must not stop or park in a cycle lane that's marked with a single white line. Sadly this rule is not enforced universally by local authorities in the UK, which means the car owners in question may not be committing an actual parking offence. In any case, report it to your local council. Hopefully they will accept these cars are causing an obstruction for cycles and act so they do not put people in danger.