My car struggles at 30mph but refuses to change down a gear - is this a common issue with modern autos?

My 2018 Jaguar E-Pace struggles at 30mph but refuses to change down a gear. There is a similar problem at 50mph (common speed limit at motorway roadworks). It would seem that the software is set at too high a gearing. I have spoken to Jaguar but they do not seem able to recognise the problem. Is this s common issue?

Asked on 13 March 2020 by John Beamish

This is pretty standard, I'm afraid. These days, automatic gearboxes are tuned to hold onto high gears in a bid to reduce emissions and provide better fuel economy. If you press hard on the accelerator it should drop down a gear or two. Modern autos will also learn your driving style, so it might get better over time.
Tags: automatics