Is hydrogen a better option than EVs?

Would it not be a good idea to move to hydrogen-powered vehicles and not bother with battery power? It would have a lot of advantages such as not having to dig up the roads to lay cables and install charging points and dispose of worn out batteries. Why do you think we are not doing this?

Asked on 10 March 2020 by Jim Nolan

Some manufacturers have invested heavily into research into hydrogen fuel cell vehicles and most have come to the conclusion that electric vehicles make more sense. The actual process of sourcing hydrogen is difficult and expensive. Once this is done, it's difficult to store and transport. It's also very flammable.