Are some cars more prone to catalytic converter theft?

We had the catalytic converter stolen from our 2007 Honda Jazz on our doorstep last night at 6:45pm, whilst we were home. They drove off as soon as we got out after hearing some metal cutting sounds. CCTV shows the theft took less than 60 seconds. We've reported it to the police and they have told me it's a common occurrence amongst Honda and Toyota vehicles due to location of said item. That being said, and a long shot, are the manufacturers liable to help cover all/part of the cost? If we report it to our insurer for information purposes only, will they raise premiums for next year? I was under the impression that thieves were targeting hybrid cars, not petrol cars. What can be done to prevent this from happening again? I have seen some Cat guards, but not sure which is suitable. Any help advice is appreciated.

Asked on 27 February 2020 by rifuddinC250

I'm sorry to read about the problems you've experienced with your vehicle. I do not think you will be able to hold Honda liable for the theft. The thieves would have probably used a cutting tool and forcibly removed the catalytic converter. I would recommend speaking to an independent Honda specialist, as the replacement will be much cheaper compared to sourcing one from the main dealer. You should be able to find a local one with our Good Garage Guide: good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/

It might also be an idea to buy a Cat guard and have the garage fit it for you: kit.honestjohn.co.uk/top-tens/top-10-ways-to-preve.../