We need a car for towing a boat off a rough beach - is petrol or diesel best?

We now live in town and rarely use the car during the week, only every second weekend and holidays go to a cottage 100 miles away on mainly open roads - so probably only about 8000 miles a year. We are looking at a second-hand car, automatic, to be able to tow and launch a boat off a rough beach. Should we be restricting ourselves to petrol only.

Asked on 16 January 2020 by Hugh4

No. Diesels still make a lot of sense for towing and it sounds like your weekends away will be enough to prevent any issues with the diesel particulate filter (DPF) getting clogged.