Should we change our car ahead of the ULEZ extension?

We live one road outside the proposed ULEZ Extension area coming into force in 2021. We have a low mileage non-ULEZ compliant 2.0-litre diesel estate car and use the inside of the South Circular for various trips. Would you recommend holding onto our car until closer to the time or swapping it in for a newer car sooner rather than later? And what ULEZ compliant five to seven seat family automatic SUV would you recommend?

This is a tricky one. Obviously, if the car runs fine, you might not want to trade-in a perfectly healthy used car for an expensive new one. However, with an expected glut of non-ULEZ vehicles expected in 2021, I think prices will plummet as we approach the extension date.

The good news is there has never been a better time to get a deal on a new car. There are thousands of pre-reg deals on the market and you can save up to 30 per cent on a new 69-plate car: www.honestjohn.co.uk/best-pre-reg-and-nearly-new-c.../

For our top 10 seven-seat family cars, see: www.honestjohn.co.uk/topten/top-10-seven-seaters/