Received a speeding ticket on the motorway in a variable limit - can I appeal?

I was travelling down the M1 when the speed limit said 60mph. I slowed to 50mph and the camera flashed at the next overhead gantry when it was displaying 50mph. I have now received a speeding ticket, with a claim that the camera was set to 40mph. How can I fight my case?

Simply claim that the overhead display said 50mph. It is an automated system and if this happened to other drivers then it will have generated a cluster of false NIPs that will put an alert on all of them.