Why is it legal for police officers in pursuit to use their radio with one hand while steering with the other?

Why is it apparently legal for police officers in pursuit conditions to operate the radios attached to their uniform with one hand whilst steering with the other free hand. Watching recent "Police Interceptors" and "Traffic Cops" TV programmes provides ample and repeated evidence that this practice is common, but why is it allowed? I'd be breaking the law if I dared touch my mobile whilst driving.

There is an exemption in the law for two-way radios that operate on certain frequencies. The rule is actually the same for everyone, not just the police.