Is a normal hybrid or PHEV better for stop start driving in traffic?

I have a daily commute of approximately 14 miles each way in traffic. I am thinking of buying a hybrid - possibly a Kia Niro. Given the stop-start nature of the driving, what would be best, a self-charging hybrid or a plug-in?

Asked on 1 October 2019 by SurreyKuga

It depends whether you can charge a car at home and/or work. If you can, a plug-in hybrid would work very well as you should be able to cover most (or all) of your commute under electric power alone without the petrol engine kicking in. If you can't charge at home or work, you'll be using a lot more fuel to transport heavy batteries that you won't be getting the most out of. In this case, a conventional hybrid makes more sense.