Do I need to tax and insure a car which is on SORN before I can sell it?

I need to sell my mother in law's car. It has been off the road on SORN for the last year. I have now had an MoT test done again and the car has passed. Do I need to tax and insure the vehicle before being able to sell it?

Asked on 28 June 2019 by Peter Rustage

Answered by David Ross
No, the car doesn’t need to be taxed or insured for you to sell it, as long as it remains on a SORN. But you obviously won’t be able to drive it on the road (including test drives). The new owner will have to tax it before they drive it away but that can be done online as can transferring the V5C:
Similar questions
My 10-year-old car has been in Spain for nine years and 11 months. I've lost the V5C, so what do I say at Dover when I try to bring it back to the UK?
I have a Q registration kit car which was last taxed and insured in 1990. Since then the vehicle has been in my garage. I have never declared SORN for the vehicle since at the time there was no requirement...
I have a 1953 Ford Popular which has been off the road since 1995 on a SORN. I have moved in that time and only have the V5 not the V5C. It has my old address on so how do I go about retaxing the car?

Value my car