Do I need to tax and insure a car which is on SORN before I can sell it?

I need to sell my mother in law's car. It has been off the road on SORN for the last year. I have now had an MoT test done again and the car has passed. Do I need to tax and insure the vehicle before being able to sell it?

Asked on 28 June 2019 by Peter Rustage

Answered by David Ross
No, the car doesn’t need to be taxed or insured for you to sell it, as long as it remains on a SORN. But you obviously won’t be able to drive it on the road (including test drives). The new owner will have to tax it before they drive it away but that can be done online as can transferring the V5C: www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle