I need a second hand car for £15k - what do you suggest?

I'm in the market for a second-hand car and I'm interested in an Evoque or similar semi-luxury car for up to £15,000. The catch is that I would prefer petrol and all the ones I look at are diesel. I only cover about 6000 miles a year mostly long journeys with a few very short journeys. The other thing that concerns me is that I travel to SE Asia a lot for three months, twice a year, so the car is left standing.

Asked on 26 June 2019 by Robert Heywood

Don't buy a second-hand Evoque unless you're looking to collect loyalty points with the AA. They're notoriously unreliable: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/land-rover/range-rov.../. It's not quite as premium, but my money would go on a Volkswagen Tiguan. There are a few about with the 1.4 TSI petrol engine for your budget. Or, if you're not fussed about an SUV, you can get a very nice BMW 1 Series for £15k. I think you'd be right to avoid diesels for your mileage.