What are the different types of automatic transmission?

I read the motoring press and see mention of differing types of automatic transmission. But what are the different types and which is best?

Asked on 21 June 2019 by John

The main types of automatic gearbox are: torque-converter (aka a traditional automatic gearbox), dual-clutch, CVT and automated-manual. Torque-converter and CVT gearboxes are generally the best for long-term reliability, although cars with CVT gearboxes can be noisy during acceleration. Dual-clutch gearboxes are generally very quick to change gear, but their complexity means some are unreliable in the long-term. Avoid automated manuals as they're often jerky to drive.