Why is it so expensive to update an in-built navigation system?

Why are cars with sat nav sought after? My 18-month-old SEAT Ibiza's map needs an update. The dealer told me they don't do it. He said people go online to try but it costs £139 and some people "brick" their system. This is scandalous. I know you have agreed with this in the past but how do we force a change?

I think the future is looking bleak for in-built navigation. Phones do a better job of it and can connect seamlessly via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Your dealer should be able to update your system for a fee - trying shopping around, it does vary between dealers.