What is the current situation with the Volkswagen 1.5 TSI engine?

I've heard a lot of comments about the 1.5 TSI engine in Volkswagen Group cars and hesitation problems. Other than that it would suit me well, probably in a Skoda Superb.
What is the current state of affairs?

Asked on 26 April 2019 by John Rice

The official line is that there's no news and a fix is still being worked on. We've had some readers report that they've been told an official update is now available, but that's not been confirmed by Skoda. We spoke to one dealer who told us it wasn't an issue... but that's not what the many complaints we've had suggest and we've experienced it ourselves. It's a shame because it is a good engine, otherwise.