My car makes a terrible noise above 60mph - what could it be?

I’ve bought a second hand Skoda Fabia and had it for less than a year. I’ve noticed recently that the noise in the car is very loud when it reaches 60mph and 70 mph. Below 60mph the sound is there but seems to be the highest at 60mph. The car is a 2008 Skoda Fabia 1.6 Automatic.

Out data shows a 2008 Fabia 1.6 auto as having a 6-speed Tiptronic auto (a torque converter, not a DSG) and this should not be troublesome. But from the symptoms you describe it reads as if it is not changing up from 5th to 6th and the reason for that could be a fault in the selector lever or a failed servo valve in the transmission valve box that controls the gear changes.