Should I swap my petrol car for a plug-in hybrid?

I am very pleased with my three-year-old Subaru XV auto. I have no reason to change it, except that I am considering swapping to a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV for sake of good ecological practice. Perhaps a straight swap for either 2015 or 2016 used Outlander. Do the same principals apply regarding timing belt changes (perhaps chain driven)? What are things to look out for with the Outlander?

If you're happy with your XV, I wouldn't be too quick to swap it for an Outlander PHEV unless you wanted more space. The Outlander's not a bad car, but it's thirsty unless you can charge the PHEV battery regularly. You'll be looking at a real-life electric range of around 20=miles and, once the battery's empty, it's essentially a very heavy petrol SUV.

If most of your journeys are less than 20-miles and you can charge it at home, it might work for you. To answer your questions, it has a timing chain rather than a belt. Like your Subaru, the Outlander is a fairly reliable SUV, although ask the seller if you can get a battery condition report from a Mitsubishi dealer. If it's never been charged (or has been charged regularly using faster chargers), it might be hiding issues.