How long does a DPF regeneration take?

I have a 2012 Mondeo 1.6 TDCi. I was in a traffic jam and the stop start was not working - the disable light was on and it would not turn off. I assumed it might be regenerating. Is it a mileage or when a sensor in the DPF thinks it is clogged and triggers a regeneration? How long does a regeneration take and how do you know if it has finished?

Asked on 30 October 2018 by GART

It's triggered by sensors. How often it actively needs to regenerate depends on use and where in the exhaust system the DPF is located. If it's bolted straight onto an integrated exhaust manifold on the engine, then it will passively regenerate more and rarely need to actively regenerate. If it's half way down the exhaust pipe it will need to actively regenerate using post injected fuel fairly often and the engine must never be switched off while this is happening. Unfortunately no manufacturer fits a light to tell you, but if you open the car door and smell heat under the car, then it's actively regenerating.