How do I know if my car is in a DPF regeneration cycle?

How do I know if my car is in a DPF regeneration cycle? It would appear that the engine should not be switched of while this process is taking place but I have never seen any warnings on the dash board to either say this is happening or the DPF filter needs cleaning.

Asked on 29 December 2018 by RABLEA

A smell of burning and a lot of heat under the car when you stop. Or, when driving along, a significant increase in the instant fuel consumption on the meter. I think manufacturers should fit a heat-sensitive warning light to tell drivers not to switch off when the DPF is actively regenerating but they won't do that because it would alert drivers to the inconvenience of running a diesel.