If someone blocks part of my driveway by parking on a dropped kerb, what can I do to stop them?

I have a dropped kerb off my narrow driveway opening, which is just big enough to get my car through. My neighbour insists on parking on the sloped kerb with his wheels on the slope, but the front of his car blocks the entrance to my driveway. ausing me problems. What are the rules on this?

Asked on 17 September 2018 by Terry Swift

Answered by Georgia Petrie
The Highway Code's Rule 243 states that you should 'not stop or park where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles, or where it would obstruct cyclists except when forced to do so by stationary traffic.' Parking a vehicle fully or partially across a dropped kerb is classed as an obstruction and either the police or local council can enforce the contravention. Based on the resources a particular authority has in dealing with this, attention will usually be focused on offences that impede those with disabilities. Complaints can be made to the local police via the non-emergency 101 number, although it's usually better to contact the local council first. If the problem persists, the council can mark a white line below the dropped curb. However, the markings aren't enforceable by police or councils - they're only an advisory area as where not to park.

Essentially, if he's stopping you getting in or out of your driveway - he's causing an issue that you have the right to report.
Similar questions
My neighbour (who lives in the flat above mine) and I have a dropped kerb and solid white line outside our flats, so we can access our separate driveways. What is the current law regarding people parking...
I live next door to a children's day nursery. For the most part, this is fine. Unfortunately, some parents park over my drive. I was late for a dental appointment last week as I couldn't get off the drive,...
I have received a ticket for obstructing a dropped kerb. There were no markings on the road indicating the kerb was in use and should not be obstructed. Is the council right to issue a ticket and deny...


Value my car