The ULEZ means I will no longer be able to go the 500 metres to my local supermarkets for my elderly mum - are Blue Badge holders exempt from the £12.50 charge?

I drive a 2009 diesel C4 Grand Picasso. I live in a postcode just outside the A406. TFL is proposing to bring in an Ultra Low Emissions Zone next year and it would seem that I will no longer be able to go the 500 metres to my local supermarkets for heavy shopping, which I do for both for my 92-year-old mother-in-law (she has a disabled badge) and my household without paying a daily 'penalty' of £12.50. Do you know if there will be any exemptions for folk such as us and, if not, any advice on what replacement car I should purchase (used, as we have very limited funds).

Asked on 12 September 2018 by tony galea

As far as I’m aware, Blue Badge holders will need to pay the charge from 8 April 2019 unless their vehicle meets the new ULEZ emission standards or is registered with the DVLA as a 'disabled' or 'disabled passenger vehicle'. If you want to replace your Citroen and only cover short distances, I’d recommend choosing a petrol. Something like the Honda Jazz 1.2: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/honda/jazz-2008/

Or Ford Fiesta 1.25 should suit your needs: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/fiesta-2013/