What do new emissions rules mean if I'm buying a car before September?

I see there are huge discounts this month as dealers desperately sell models before new emissions rules kick in. If they don't sell the vehicles are they disposed off? What happens if I buy one now before the rules kick in, will I be effected later down the line.?

Asked on 9 August 2018 by Dev

You might be affected in five years or so if they tighten the screws on city centres, particularly for diesels. You can rest assured that everything in stock that does not meet NEDC emissions and is not 'derogated' will be registered to dealers and fleets by the end of August. Nothing will actually get scrapped unless a mistake is made and a dealer gets caught out with stock he did not know he had.