Can anyone attend a speed awareness course as a matter of education?

Can anyone attend these speed awareness courses as a matter of education or are they just for speeding offenders ?

Asked on 27 July 2018 by Keith Moat

Answered by David Ross
Good question. The courses that are offered to drivers who have broken the speed limit are run by independent companies for the police as part of a nationwide scheme. So the police effectively refer people to the course (as an alternative to points and a fine). The format and content of courses varies from area to area according to the individual requirements of each force - but usually cover the same aspects.

While you can't attend these specific courses unless you've received an NIP, there are advanced driver courses you can do which cover similar areas. The IAM and Rospa are a good place to start for these.
Similar questions
There has been plenty of mention in your column over the past few months of the IAM and the excellent work it does to promote advanced motoring. Please can you also give a shout to the RoSPA Advanced Drivers...
Being a member of The Institute of Advanced Motorists and having the badge stolen off the car grill, I asked the IAM if I could purchase a new badge. They said I should take another test. Is this fair...
I was very interested in the letter in last week’s Motoring Agony column, entitled ‘Sliproady Customer', about the attitude of some people to the way in which one should join a motorway. Recently, I went...

Ask Honest John

Value my car