Does having smaller wheels on my car count as a modification?

I’m buying a nearly new BMW X3 20d Sport which comes with 20-inch wheels. I have asked the dealer, who agreed, to swap these for 18-inch wheels. Asking for an insurance quote I was told that this change constitutes a modification. I am not sure that it is. Could you please give me your expert opinion?

This is categorically not a modification. If the wheels are designed for the vehicle, manufactured for and supplied to BMW and are supplied by them, they are an option not a modification. A modification is non OE adaption away from the manufacturer design specifications.